[gmx-users] zero SOL molecules

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Mar 6 13:31:21 CET 2011

sarah k wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am adding Nitrogen box instead of water molecules to my protein. Based
> on your guidelines I generated the coordination and topology file of
> nitrogen. Then I used the following command:
> genbox -cp A_newbox -ci -42000mol N2C.gro -o A_solv.gro -p topol.top
>
> N2C.gro is my new file made manually whithin all information in
> spc216.gro. I replaced all data in spc216.gro with N2C but I kept the
> name unchanged:
> genbox -cp A_newbox -ci -42000mol N2Cspc216.gro -o A_solv.gro -p topol.top
>
> The box was generated but there were 0 SOL molecules. The error is:
> Invalid command argument: spc216.gro

I sincerely doubt that a box was generated if you get a fatal error about an
invalid argument.  One would also expect that you will have 0 SOL molecules,
since you're not actually dealing with water, are you?

> How can I fix it? Thanks.

Use a sensible command.  "-42000mol N2Cspc216.gro" is where the problem is.
Option -ci takes a coordinate file containing *one* molecule to be inserted, and
-nmol tells genbox how many of them to insert.  Messing with spc216.gro is both
confusing and unnecessary.

-Justin

> Best regards,
> Sarah Keshavarz