[gmx-users] Dihedral angles distribution

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 7 12:56:45 CET 2011

sa wrote:
> Dear GMXusers
>
> I would like to obtain the normalized CCCC dihedral distribution of the
> alkyl chain of DPC molecules simulated with the CHARMM ff and GMX4.5.3.
> So i used the g_angle tool. I have constructed an index file which
> contain the 9 corresponding angles with make_index_mpi:
>
> a C12 | a C13 | a C14 | a C15 ---> consecutive atoms
> a C20 | a C21 | a C22 | aC23
>
> and used g_angle command
>
> g_angle_mpi -f *.xtc -ov DPC-Self-CHA_100-155ns-Angle_0_Dihed.xvg -b
> 100000 -e 110000 -n Tail_dihedral_index.ndx -type dihedral
>
> For example by choosing the C15_C16_C17_C18 dihedral angle located in
> the middle of the alkyl chain, i obtain an average value 0° (!!) and the
> following figure
>
> http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=825755angdist.png
>
> This  is not what i expect How to obtain simply the classical normalized
> function from g_angle ?

You're taking an average of the histogram of the angles, which I don't think
actually corresponds to the true average.  Your biggest peaks are at +/- 180
(i.e., trans dihedral), so I suspect your mean is likely not really 0.  Use
g_angle -ov to get an actual average over time.

-Justin

> Thank you in advance for your advices
>
> SA

Justin A. Lemkul