[gmx-users] Surface tension readings in NVT vs NPT simulations

aldi asmadi aldi.asmadi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 14:40:24 CET 2011

David,

I have a question that is still related to your reply.  If the bulk
liquid NPT and the interfacial liquid-vapor NVT simulations are
performed using dispersion corrections to the pressure and energy,
while the intefacial liquid-liquid NPAT simulation don't use any
correction, can we say that all results are valid since we don't give
the same treatment for all systems?

In the NPT and NVT calculations, we apply corrections in order to
reduce the discrepancy between the calculated and experimental
properties (say density and surface tension) as small as possible.
Here we have more confidence that our molecules in systems behave
accordingly judging from the macroscopic values we obtain.  Meanwhile,
in the NPAT calculation, we don't use such correction meaning that the
property (say interfacial tension) is expected to deviate more from
the experimental value? This indicates that the system behaves
differently in comparison to the same simulation conducted with
correction?

Many thanks,
Aldi