[gmx-users] Surface tension readings in NVT vs NPT simulations

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Mar 12 16:55:10 CET 2011

On 2011-03-12 16.45, Denny Frost wrote:
> I have run NPT simulations using isotropic and semiisotropic coupling
> with the same results.  I have never done coupling in just one direction
> though, how do you do this?.  I have never used Dispersion corrections.
> It seems to me that this would help, rather than hurt though since, as
> Aldi said, it will make the system closer to experimental values.  I
> will give this a try and see what happens.  My question still remains -
> why do NPT and NVT simulations give such different values for surface
> tension?
> Denny Frost

You don't give any values so it is hard to judge.
- NVT may have completely wrong pressure
- Dispersion correction assumes a homogeneous system as regards the
average disperson constant per volume, which you probably do not have.
E.g. in an ice/water surface dispersion correction may induce melting.

The dispersion correction is *not* to bring your system closer to
experiment but rather to correct for the use of a cut-off.

- Coupling in one direction: specify e.g.
ref-p = 0 0 1
compressibility = 0 0 4e-5
tau_p = 0 0 5