[gmx-users] Fwd: KALP-15 in DPPC Tutorial Step 0 Segmentation Fault

Steve Vivian svivian at uwo.ca
Sat Mar 12 19:32:20 CET 2011

On 03/12/2011 12:51 PM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
Getting hard to follow, so I put my new comments in blue.
Output from Energy Minimization

Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 1814 steps
Potential Energy  = -3.81270276926664e+05
Maximum force     =  9.38712770623942e+02 on atom 2292
Norm of force     =  2.88274347161761e+01

> Steve Vivian wrote:
>> Based on a preliminary test using multiple threads, the issue is not
>> resolved.
>> This leads me to believe that my Unit Cell is not built properly.
>>
>> Below is the procedure used to build the unit cell.  I have reviewed
>> it many
>> times, but I would appreciate any input regarding potential
>> improvements,
>> specifically on the line using trjconv in the EM/Shrink loop.
>>
>> Safe up to here, (I hope)...
>>
>> cat KALP_newbox.gro dppc128_whole.gro > system.gro
>>
>> update minim.mdp
>> ; Strong position restraints for InflateGRO
>> #ifdef STRONG_POSRES
>> #include "strong_posre.itp"
>> #endif
>>
>> Create Strong Position Restraint for protein
>> genrestr -f KALP_newbox.gro -o strong_posre.itp -fc 100000 100000 100000
>>
>> Scale Lipid positions by a factor of 4
>> perl inflategro.pl system.gro 4 DPPC 14 system_inflated.gro 5 area.dat
>>
>> Begin loop of repeated Energy Minimizations and Shrinking (repeat
>> loop approximately 25 times until area is approx 71 Ang sq)
>> Begin LOOP (from n=1 to n = 26)
>>     grompp -f minim.mdp -c systm_inf_n.gro -p topol.top -o em_n.tpr
>>     mdrun -v -deffnm em_n
>>     trjconv -s em_n.tpr -f em_n.gro -o em_n_out.gro -pbc mol -ur compact
>>     perl inflategro.pl em_n_out.gro 0.95 DPPC 0 sys_shr_1.gro 5
>
> One problem here: you start the loop every time with system_inf_n?
> What is system_inf_n?  It seems that you should start one (non-loop)
> shrink and then process the subsequent shrinking steps from there.  At
> the end of the loop, you write to sys_shr_1.gro, which then never gets
> used again.
>
> -Justin
Put my comments in blue to make it easier to read.

I apologize for the poor description here.
The first loop begins with the System_inflate.gro file created in the
earlier process.  The rest of the first loop is shown.

At the beginning of the second loop, the input file is
system_shrink_1.gro, which was the output file at the end of loop 1.
Proceed through the loop, updating the n from 1 to 2 in each step.
Output file is system_shrink_2.gro.

Input file for loop 3 is system_shrink_3.gro, ....

....Output from loop 26 is system_shrink_26.gro and output on screen
provides information on updated Lipid area which has achieved target value.

Then proceed to add water (after changing vdw radius of C atoms)
Add ions
EM again
Then Equilibrate.

Output from Energy Minimization (after addition of water and ions)