[gmx-users] Fwd: KALP-15 in DPPC Tutorial Step 0 Segmentation Fault

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Mar 12 20:10:26 CET 2011

Steve Vivian wrote:
> On 03/12/2011 01:36 PM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>

>> Steve Vivian wrote:
>>>   On 03/12/2011 12:51 PM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>> Getting hard to follow, so I put my new comments in blue.
>>> Output from Energy Minimization
>>>
>>> Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 1814 steps
>>> Potential Energy  = -3.81270276926664e+05
>>> Maximum force     =  9.38712770623942e+02 on atom 2292
>>> Norm of force     =  2.88274347161761e+01

>>> Put my comments in blue to make it easier to read.
>>>
>>> I apologize for the poor description here. The first loop begins with
>>> the System_inflate.gro file created in the earlier process.  The rest
>>> of the first loop is shown.
>>>
>>> At the beginning of the second loop, the input file is
>>> system_shrink_1.gro, which was the output file at the end of loop 1.
>>> Proceed through the loop, updating the n from 1 to 2 in each step.
>>> Output file is system_shrink_2.gro.
>>>
>>> Input file for loop 3 is system_shrink_3.gro, ....
>>>
>>> ....Output from loop 26 is system_shrink_26.gro and output on screen
>>> provides information on updated Lipid area which has achieved target
>>> value.
>>>
>>> Then proceed to add water (after changing vdw radius of C atoms)
>>> Add ions
>>> EM again
>>> Then Equilibrate.
>>>

>>> Output from Energy Minimization (after addition of water and ions)
>>>
>>> Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 1814 steps
>>> Potential Energy  = -3.81270276926664e+05
>>> Maximum force     =  9.38712770623942e+02 on atom 2292
>>> Norm of force     =  2.88274347161761e+01
>>>

>> This output indicates to me that the system is completely reasonable.
>> If you send me your .gro and .top (off-list), I will try to debug and
>> report back if I can find anything.
>>
>> To confirm, you are using Gromacs 4.5.3?  What version of FFTW?  What
>> hardware?  What compilers were used for the installation?
>>
>> -Justin
>

> Using Gromacs 4.5.3 and FFTW 3.2.2 both compiled for double precision.
> It has been a while since I compiled so I'm not exactly sure, but I
> recall updating gcc and gfortran during the process.
> Hardware, what type of specifics are you looking for?  # of processors
> and speed?
> Attached are current Energy Minimized file and topology file.

Hardware and compiler specs are unnecessary.  The problem is the coordinate file
itself.  Look at it in your favorite visualization program and you will see that
the lipid headgroups are completely collapsed in on one another.  I don't know
how or why this happened.  If you're using the DPPC topology from Tieleman and
the .mdp files given in the tutorial, I see no reason for this totally unstable
configuration.  I have never used double precision (and it is not necessary for
standard MD, and only serves to slow your runs down), so it would be interesting
to see if the problem is a result of double vs. single precision.  I can
successfully re-minimize the coordinate file you sent me using single precision:

Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 335 steps
Potential Energy  = -6.3605750e+04
Maximum force     =  7.1865680e+02 on atom 115
Norm of force     =  3.9649860e+01

For now, I would suggest you test the precision issue.  Install Gromacs again
(making note of your compiler versions, because this is important to know!) in
single precision and try to re-minimize the system and proceed.  No need to
completely re-build it, as you should be able to just run a new EM on your
existing system like I did.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate