[gmx-users] installation of gromacs

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Mar 14 14:05:13 CET 2011

Hello,

it seems FFTW3 is not installed in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or the fftw3
headers can not be found. On Ubuntu, most likely the headers are not
installed (available in the package libfftw3-dev). However it is really
easy to compile FFTW3 yourself and install it inside your $HOME. Then
you do not get in conflict with your system libraries and no
administrator privileges are necessary. Furthermore you can compile
FFTW3 with the desired flags for example:
./configure --prefix=$HOME/local/fftw3 --enable-sse --enable-shared
--enable-float

make -j
make install

which will install shared fftw3 libs and headers in $HOME/local/fftw3.
The flag -sse enables assembler optimization and --enable-float finally
gives a single precision library libfftw3f.so . It is strongly suggested
to enable assembler to optimize the performance of the FFTW3.

Now for the configuration and installation of GROMACS in single
precision you can use CMake and or the autotools. For the usage of
autotools, the same scheme as describe above applies, however as FFTW3
is not in a standard location, the configure script must be told where
to find the required files:

CPPFLAGS=-I$HOME/local/fftw3/include LDFLAGS=-L
$HOME/local/fftw3/lib ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local/gromacs
--enable-shared

make -j
make install

This should install a single-precision version of gromacs with shared
libraries in $HOME/local/gromacs. For further specifications ./configure
--helps gives many options to choose for example --enable-mpi

For CMake the input scheme varies a little bit, but the procedure is the
same

mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DFFTW3F_INCLUDE_DIR=$HOME/local/fftw3/include -DFFTW3F_LIBRARIES=
$HOME/local/fftw3/lib -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/local/gromacs

make -j
make install

For CMake a shared build is enabled by default.

/Flo

--
Florian Dommert
Dipl. - Phys.