[gmx-users] IMPLICIT SOLVENT IN AMBER

Michael Brunsteiner mbx0009 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 16:10:16 CET 2011

I recently came across a paper (J. Phys. Chem. B 2005, 109,
10441-10448) in which  the authors found that using implicit
solvent with explicit ions you easily end up with all the
ions cuddling up in clusters ... which is obviously an artefact.

That is, if you do use this combination you certainly need to
carefully choose your parameters and system set-up, and
run thorough tests before doing any production runs.

... my five cents
mic

Per Larsson wrote:

Hi!

The answer is that I do not now critical it is.
I have seen some papers that seem to hint at it not being overly critical, but,
again, life does not come at a net charge.
You'd have to see for yourself in your system, given the observables that are
important I suppose.
Possibly we can implement this in the future, as there indeed seems to be some
interest in it, but that is not a task I can deal with currently.

/Per