[gmx-users] Umberella sampling

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 15 17:54:28 CET 2011

1. Depends on how you set them in your .mdp file. It could be either.

2. There is no general method. Use trial and error. Also, your
question is flawed, K defines X. Unless by "length of one windows" you
meant the distance between neighbouring centers of restraint
(umbrellas).

3. you need overlapping distributions. Let's leave it at that. I have
not seen any general treatment of what K is required and I am rather
sure that it is impossible to predetermine the necessary force
constants (K) unless you know the PMF. If you need to know the PMF
beforehand then this is not a general solution and also probably
useless since the whole purpose is to get the PMF.

Chris.