[gmx-users] g_order for DPC alkyl chain in the micelle

sa sagmx.mail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:58:51 CET 2011

Hi all

This message is related with my previous message (see below) about the
calculation of the order value for the DPC alkyl chain in a micelle. So if I
understand well the previous angel's message, I need to compute the theta
angle between the 2 vectors defined by the (i-1,i+1) and (i, i+2). So for
carbon atom C14, I have created an index file with two groups defined as
following

aC14 | aC16  and aC14 | aC16 with make_ndx_mpi

and used the command g_sgangle_mpi -s run_1.tpr -f *.xtc -b 100000 -e 101000
-n index.ndx and choose the C13_C15 and C14_C16 groups. Unfortunately i
obtain the following error

Group C13_C15 contains the following atoms:
Atomname 0: C13
Atomname 1: C15
Atomname 2: C13
Atomname 3: C15
Atomname 4: C13
Atomname 5: C15
Atomname 6: C13
Atomname 7: C15
Atomname 8: C13
Atomname 9: C1

Group C14_C16 contains the following atoms:
Atomname 0: C14
Atomname 1: C16
Atomname 2: C14
Atomname 3: C16
Atomname 4: C14

Atomname 105: C16
Atomname 106: C14
Atomname 107: C16

Careful: distance only makes sense in some situations.

Reading frame       0 time 100000.000
Back Off! I just backed up sg_angle.xvg to ./#sg_angle.xvg.2#

Program g_sgangle_mpi, VERSION 4.5.3
Source code file: gmx_sgangle.c, line: 127

Fatal error:
Something wrong with contents of index file.

Did I make a error, what is the correct approach. to obtain the angle
between 2 vectors ?

Thank you in advance

SA