[gmx-users] lipopeptide problem

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 17 22:45:16 CET 2011

Emine Deniz Tekin wrote:
> Hi Felix,
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Hi Justin,
>
> I did not want to write a long e-mail describing what I did and what did
> not work. All I wanted to learn was whether there was some more detailed
> information somewhere that I can reach. You do not have to reply to an
> email if you feel it is not worth it. Lecturing me on "willingness" is
> crossing the line. How do you know how much I tried? Anyhow, thanks for
> your earlier help, but you can simply skip my future postings.

I'll respond one last time then, if for no other reason but to defend myself
against being considered a complete jerk.

I was sincerely trying to help, and in order to do so, I needed to extract a lot
more information than what you had provided.  I could certainly type out a
procedure, step by step for you, which would be rather lengthy (because there
are several ways to do this, each based upon a couple different assumptions
which need to be considered), and then have it turn out that you've done that
and come across some error for one reason or another, and all I've done is waste
both of our time and spammed everyone's inbox with an unnecessary message.
Instead, I wanted to know what you had done.  Even if it's long, it makes the
process of helping you exponentially faster in the end.  There are dozens of
threads in the list archive in recent months alone that go one for dozens of
messages, all because the original user is not providing adequate or accurate
detail of their problem and their ideas.  Leaving us to guess serves no one.

But truly, if you don't want me to attempt to help, I certainly won't.  If
trying to help you both solve your problem and be more efficient is seen as a
"lecturing" and/or "crossing the line," then I won't attempt to do either.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar