[gmx-users] compressing in presence of voids

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 21 15:43:01 CET 2011

Moeed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am compressing a single extended PE chain (16 nm in length) in a box
> of 20nm in vacuo to get a more realistic shape of the polymer. Although
> system is small (only 362 atoms), whatever -np #  I choose simulation
> runs very slowly. Is that because of the presence of voids? Is there a
> way to speed up the runs? I have no clue on this. Thanks!

PME in vacuo is both extremely slow and unnecessary.  Proper vacuum treatment is
a non-periodic system with infinite cutoffs (i.e. rlist=rvdw=rcoulomb=0).  You
shouldn't have to compress this system to get it into a reasonable
configuration.  The simulations should run extremely fast for such a small
amount of atoms, allowing you to obtain a nice, long, converged trajectory.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar