[gmx-users] Hydroixde Ion

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 22 18:54:45 CET 2011

SHIVANGI NANGIA wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
>
> I think I made some progress but I am not there yet.
>
> I added the following in the ions.itp file
>
> [ moleculetype ]
> ; molname   nrexcl
> OH    1
>
> [ atoms ]
> ; id  at type  res nr   residu name at name  cg nr charge
> 1  OH 1  OH    OH  1  0
> 1  OW 1  OW    OW  1 -1
>

> Still I ran into the same error that it could not find moleculetype OH.
>
> Than I specifically added the following to the .top file
>
> [ moleculetype ]
> ; molname   nrexcl
> OH    1
>
> [atoms]
>      1         OH      1   OH     OH      1       0.21     1.008     ;
>      2         OW      1   OH     OW      1      -1.21    15.99994   ;
> [ bonds ]
>    OW   HW1    gb_38
>
> This helped.
> However, there is new error I am running into which says:
> Fatal error: number of coordinates in coordinate file
> (5his8_meohi_wat.gro, 12487) does not match topology (topol.top, 12519)
>
> I am trying to add 8 hydroxide ions in my methanol-water system.

And how are you attempting this?  What command(s) did you give?  What subsequent
modifications to your topology did you make?

The generic solution to your problem can be found here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Number_of_coordinates_in_coordinate_file_does_not_match_topology

> The confusion I have is:
> The .gro file has OH but is gromacs really accounting OH as 2 atoms?

Gromacs assigns parameters to the molecules it finds based on the entries in the
respective [moleculetypes].  If you tell grompp or any other program that the
[moleculetype] "OH" is comprised of two atoms, then there's no reason to believe
  anything is wrong.

> Also, the difference (12519-12487) is greater than 8.

Without some context as to what you're doing and what you've done up to this
point, this information does not lead to any useful solution.  The number of
molecules (either methanol or OH) in your topology does not match the contents
of your coordinate file.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate