[gmx-users] Hydroixde Ion

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 22 20:55:23 CET 2011

SHIVANGI NANGIA wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I have the following:
>
> I have not changed anything in ffG53a6.atp and .rtp
> As suggested by gmx users, I have the following in the ions,itp file
>
> [ moleculetype ]
>   ; molname   nrexcl
> OH    1
>
> [ atoms ]
> ; id  at type  res nr   residu name at name  cg nr charge
>   1  OH 1  OH    OH  1  0
>   1  OW 1  OW    OW  1 -1
>

> I executed the following commands:
>
> (a) pdb2gmx -f his8.pdb -ignh -ter -his -p topol.top -o his8.gro
> (b) editconf -f his8.gro -box 5 5 5 -o his8box.gro
> (c) genbox -cp his8box.gro  -ci  1methanol.gro -nmol 1800 -o
> his8_meoh.gro -p topol.top

Were all 1800 methanol molecules properly inserted here?  Note that genbox does
not update the topology automatically for any molecules other than water.

> (d) grompp -f ions.mdp -c his8_meoh.gro -p topol.top -o ions.tpr -p
> topol.top
> (e) genion -s ions.tpr -o added_ions.gro -p topol.top -pname NA -nname
> OH -nn 8

Per the genion help information, it is not well-suited to inserting polyatomic
ions.  Also, what are you choosing to replace here?  genion is designed to
replace water molecules with monoatomic ions, but you haven't added any water
yet.  If you're simply replacing elements of the "System" group, you've probably
got fractional species somewhere.  I would be willing to bet that this process
is what is causing your problem.  Check the contents of the coordinate file and
topology before and after genion, and you will probably find the problem.
Solution: don't use genion.  Use genbox -ci -nmol to add your 8 OH molecules.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar