[gmx-users] unit of surface tension, KJ/mol?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 23 03:46:08 CET 2011

Elisabeth wrote:

> On 22 March 2011 22:31, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Elisabeth wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>          I did two simulations on the same system using versions 4.0.7
>         and 4.5.3. It seems like the unit of surface tension is not the
>         same in these versions because I am getting ~250 KJ/mol an in
>         4.0.7 and ~ 5000bar nm in 4.5.3?! How KJ/mol can be converted
>         into bar nm? Can anyone help please.
>

>     Is this from g_energy output?  In past versions, everything was
>     printed as "kJ/mol," even quantities that obviously weren't, like
>     temperature, pressure, etc.
>

> Yes, so why are the results so different. I am using exactly the same
> mdp file.!

Any pressure-related quantity is going to be subject to enormous fluctuations.
This has been discussed within the last few days.  Without seeing the .mdp file
and a description of the system, it's hard for anyone to comment on what the
results might mean.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar