[gmx-users] No cut-off

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 24 06:52:06 CET 2011

On 24/03/2011 4:38 PM, Swarnendu Tripathi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for the reply. The answer I got for the second question
> about table-extension, I understand and agree with that.
>
> Regarding my first question I asked, I did not get any error with
> grompp even when I tried rlist=rvdw=2.0 and rcoulomb=0. For this I
> used the no cut-off conditions which I have mentioned below in my
> previous e-mail. I am using Gromacs-4.0.7.  Any further suggestions or
> comments will be very helpful.

VDW interactions normally become insignificant much faster than Coulomb
interactions, so treating all Coulomb interactions and only some VDW
interactions is logical. However, performing the search for neighbours
takes time, and given that you are computing the distances already for
their Coulomb interaction, it is probably cheaper just to compute all
the VDW interactions, i.e. rlist=rvdw=0. This might be different if you
had a lot of atoms that had zero partial charge.

Mark