[gmx-users] no output dgdl file

Moeed lecielll at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 25 19:22:59 CET 2011

Thank you Justin and Emanuel for helpful remarks. I am a little confused
what is the proper detailed procedure to perform FE using TI and BAR when
decoupling nonboded terms separately. I write down my understanding and
would appreciate your comments.

TI: One needs to vary init_lambda (=native) from 0 to 10 (say 0.1
increments) and obtain 11 xvg files. (for simultaneous decoupling)

1- Here  foreign_lambda does not make sense as it pertains to BAR.
2- If one intends to do separate decoupling, for each native labmda run two
times with the appropriate couple-lambda0  &  couple-lambda1. For each
native lambda we end up with two xvg files. coul-0 to coul-11 and vdw-0 to
vdw-11. (actually I am not sure what is easiest way of summing up two
columns from coul-0 + vdw-0 ... aside from EXCEL..). Move the total sum at
each point to the file total-0 to total 11. Run g_average on each total-?
and perform numerical integration to get delta G or H.

BAR: Run 2*11 times with the following settings for appropriate
couple-lambda0  &  couple-lambda1 to get coul-0 to coul-11 and vdw-0 to
vdw-11.

Interval 1:
init_lambda = 0
foreign_lambda = 0.05

Interval 2:
init_lambda = 0.05
foreign_lambda = 0 0.1

Interval 3:
init_lambda = 0.1
foreign_lambda = 0.05 0.15

Add up coul-0+vdw-0 > total-0  (again I dont know the proper tool for adding
up columns)
.
.                                          (for intermedaite steps there are
3 columns to sum. one before and after native lambda)
.
                                        > total 11

Run g_bar on total-?.xvg files.

1- I am wondering for each interval say

Interval 2:
init_lambda = 0.05
foreign_lambda = 0 0.1

how this foreign_lambda 0 is related to the init_lambda = 0 from interval 1
and the same for foreign_lambda = 0.1 in interval 2 and init_lambda = 0.1 in
interval 3? Is there a physical meaning?

2- If one needs to run multiple native lambda for both methods what is the
adnatage of BAR over TI. I thought using foreign_lambda facilitates FE
calculations in terms of amount of work but it seems it is only a different
method (BAR).

Thanks for your help.