[gmx-users] Re: Alcohol Dehydrogenase MD simulation....Reg

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Mar 26 18:53:31 CET 2011

Please choose a relevant subject line and do not reply to the entire digest; it
confuses the archive.

Kishore wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
> As you correctly pointed out, I had looked into those improper dihedral
> specifications several times before and it seems that they are properly
> mentioned in the .itp file. I have been using the topologies generated
> by PRODRG server for NADPH as i could not make it comply with the
> inbuilt residue template library topologies. In this topologies
> generated by PRODRG there is a directive called [ dihedrals ] and it
> listed out all the dihedrals with comment lines showing proper and
> improper dihedrals, but this seems to differ from the way the the
> topologies are defined in the gromacs inbuilt template library which
> only lists out the impropers. Does this make any difference in terms of
> grompp interpreting them during the preprocessing? I am herein pasting a
> section of that dihedrals and a snapshot of the NADPH molecule with the
> atom names labelled so that you can see that the impropers you mentioned
> in your reply are infact mentioned in the .itp file I am using.

Gromacs separates proper and improper dihedrals in [dihedrals] directives,
presumably for convenience.  Having one or two directives with proper contents
does not make a difference.  If, however, PRODRG is assigning parameters that
the force field library does not, that just sounds like typical PRODRG behavior
- its parameters are often incorrect and one has to know the proper way to
handle re-assigning parameters.  Bonded parameters are often more correct than
charges and charge groups from PRODRG, which are wrong in all the cases I've
ever seen.

http://www.gromacs.org/Downloads/Related_Software/PRODRG#Tips

-Justin

> The three improper dihedrals you have mentioned are highlighted
> below...please correct me in case if i am getting the meaning
> wrong..Sorry for flooding with long posts, but I am in a great need for
> some help on this.
>
> [ dihedrals ]
> ; ai  aj  ak  al  fu    c0, c1, m, ...
>    1   4   3   2   2      0.0  167.4        0.0  167.4   ; imp   NBS
> CBQ  H8M  HBS
>    4   1   5   6   2      0.0  167.4        0.0  167.4   ; imp   CBQ
> NBS  OBT  CAV
>    6   4   9   7   2      0.0  167.4        0.0  167.4   ; imp   CAV
> CBQ  CBE  CAN

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar