[gmx-users] Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 29 20:06:22 CEST 2011

shivangi nangia wrote:
> Hello gmx-users,
>
> I have a 5 ang box with equal number of water and methanol molecules
> (1800), a neutral peptide, 8 hydroxide ions and 10 Li+ ions. The system
> is overall +2 charged.

If your box truly is 5 A (0.5 nm), grompp should have failed based on your
cutoffs.  I assume you have a 5-nm box?

> I am trying to to do a NVT equilibration which runs into the following
> error:
>

> t = 0.000 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 11816 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.

Did you do energy minimization first?  If so, what was the outcome?  Were the
energies and forces acceptable?  What force field are you using?  The generic
information about your problem can be found at:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate