[gmx-users] Help on umbrella sampling

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 30 23:54:02 CEST 2011

raghuvir at bcpindia.org wrote:
> Dear Users and Developers
>
> I am trying to execute md_pull.mdp {given below} on a small molecule
> embedded at the core of lipid bilayer.  I have tried to modify the
> md_pull.mdp from the Tutorial by Justin Lemkul on Umbrella sampling.  I
> encounter LINCS warning  (1000) after about 100-110 ps of the simulation
> resulting in termination of mdrun. This occurs when the small molecule
> is near the polar heads.  I understand the system is exploding.
>
> I have minimized the system, followed by anneal to 323K then nvt and npt
> after which I perform the md_pull.  How can I soften the core {as
> mentioned in the errors on www.gromacs.org} or any other alternative is
> there adding lincs warning to mdp file {I am not aware}

"Soft core" is a mechanism by which Lennard-Jones interactions are modified
while doing decoupling/annihilation calculations.  This point is not relevant here.

I see that you're restraining the lipids in some way.  Which atoms are
restrained?  In which directions?  Why are you restraining them?  I would assume
that as a molecule is pulled through your membrane, any artificial forces that
work against one another would cause instability.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar