[gmx-users] g_dipole: dipole moment autocorrelation function

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Mar 31 09:25:56 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 20:23 +0200, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2011-03-30 20.16, Nilesh Dhumal wrote:
> > Thanks.
> > How can I take average.
> summing up and dividing by the number of sims.
> >
> > How much long I should run the simulation.
> until the average converges.
> >
> > Nilesh

Hello,

I think you will get into some trouble when you try to calculate an
autocorrelation function of property that is not continuous in time. In
an ionic liquid you have contributions of the molecular dipole and
contribution of the charged molecules to the dipole. The latter part is
unfortunately not continuous due to jumping of the molecules over the
PBCs. It depends what kind of property you want to calculate, but we
experienced that simulations in the range of 50-100ns are required to
reliably determine properties like the dielectric constant. The next
point is that you have to save your coordinates and velocities quite
often ( every 0.02ps we used)

Check corresponding literature for further advice.

Cheers,

Flo

> >> You have to simulate at least a few 10s of ns for such slow liquids to
> >> converge. Alternatively you can average over many independent simulations
> >> (10s).

> >> --
> >> David van der Spoel, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
> >> Dept. of Cell&  Molec. Biol., Uppsala University.
> >> Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.
> >> spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se --
> >> Please search the archive at
> >> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
> >> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
> >> www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org. Can't post? Read
> >> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists

> Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.
> spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se

--
Florian Dommert
Dipl. - Phys.