[gmx-users] g_dipole: dipole moment autocorrelation function

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Mar 31 11:38:25 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 10:39 +0200, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2011-03-31 09.25, Dommert Florian wrote:
> >> summing up and dividing by the number of sims.

> >> until the average converges.

> > Hello,
> >
> > I think you will get into some trouble when you try to calculate an
> > autocorrelation function of property that is not continuous in time. In
> > an ionic liquid you have contributions of the molecular dipole and
> > contribution of the charged molecules to the dipole. The latter part is
> > unfortunately not continuous due to jumping of the molecules over the
> > PBCs. It depends what kind of property you want to calculate, but we
> > experienced that simulations in the range of 50-100ns are required to
> > reliably determine properties like the dielectric constant. The next
> > point is that you have to save your coordinates and velocities quite
> > often ( every 0.02ps we used)
> >
> > Check corresponding literature for further advice.
>
> Thanks Florian, for pointing that out. I forgot about it in my previous
> mail. In order to compute the dielectric constant one could in principle
> apply constant electric fields at different strengths and then
> extrapolate to zero. Don't know whether that has been done.

In the ionic liquids commmunity dielectric spectra of ILs are usually
calulated from equilibrium MD without application of an E-field. The
generalized dielectric constant is calculated and a Fourier Laplace
transformation finally allows to determine the full dielectric spectrum.
Schröder et. al from the University of Vienna have published some
articles about this topic.

Cheers,
Flo

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Flo

> >> --
> >> David van der Spoel, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
> >> Dept. of Cell&  Molec. Biol., Uppsala University.
> >> Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.
> >> spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se

> Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.
> spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se

--
Florian Dommert
Dipl. - Phys.