[gmx-users] Modified Gromacs and OPENMM

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Tue May 3 20:48:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Thanks for the reply. The part I modified is the implicit solvent
> part, particularly the Still model. Also I modified a part of nonbonded
> kernel, not sse ones. So I assumed I have to link GROMACS with OPENMM
> using customGBforce?

You mean that you modified the CUDA kernel inside OpenMM, right? If
you did that than it should be as simple as recompiling OpenMM and
using this version to link against mdrun-gpu. However, as you suggest
you can use the CustomGBForce class to define a GB model in a  general
way. For that you should look at the OpenMM wrapper module (see
below). I'm not entirely sure what you mean so part of this is
guessing...

> Is there a guide of how currently GROMACS is linked to OPENMM?

That's "fairly" straightforward. In runner.c:mdruner(), when an
OpenMM-enabled mdrun-gpu is used, all function pointers in the
integrator[] array simply point to md_openmm.c:do_md_openmm() (which
is a stripped-down version of md.c:do_md()). This contains the main MD
loop which besides all the Gromacs-magic essentially does:

openmm_init();
while(!bLastStep) {
openmm_copy_state();
openmm_take_one_step();
}
openmm_cleanup();

Finally, all the logic of interfacing with OpenMM is implemented in
src/kernel/openmm_wrapper.cpp, so I think that should be pretty much
the only place where you need to modify things to use
additional/custom OpenMM functionality in Gromacs.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd