[gmx-users] RTP file formats

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 5 14:38:55 CEST 2011

Mr Bernard Ramos wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> The *.rtp file formats we have on Gromacs rtp file exmaples do not
> necessarily have the [dihedrals] or [impropers] part. They normally only
> have the [atoms] and [bonds]. In fact, the [bonds] section do not
> enumerate the constants or parameters. This is not what is written or

Different force fields work in different ways.  Gromos, for instance, uses
#define statements to replace listed gb_*, ga_*, etc.

> shown as an example in the manual. Is is ok to just enumerate or list

The manual shows a generic example, which may not be the same for all force fields.

> down the [atoms] and [bonds] but not including the rest? Thanks.

Per the example in section 5.6.1, only the [bondedtypes] and [atoms] directives
are mandatory, but in the case of a bonded molecule, I believe [bonds] are as
well.  The rest of the directives, if not otherwise specified, are constructed
from the existing information.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar