[gmx-users] virtual sites

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 5 18:28:20 CEST 2011

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Hi Justin
>
> I am reading the manual at the moment. I want to include some virtual
> sites in my molecule so that only surrounding CH3s atom type C3 interact
> with then. All other atoms I don't want to interact with them. Do I
> create energy groups in the index file called say "virtual sites" and
> "exclusions", and list all the indices of the atom types that I don't
> want to interact with the virtual site in one group and all the virtual
> sites in another.
> e.g
>
> [virtual sites]
> 17 18 19 20
>
> [virtsite_exclus]
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .....

In a general sense, yes, that's the right approach.  Note that if any of these
sites is charged and/or you're using PME, then this whole exclusion thing goes
out the window, as has been discussed several times in recent days.  Using
energygrp_excl applies only to short-range nonbonded interactions.  If you need
complete exclusion, you may have to look into tabulated potentials if this is
the case.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar