[gmx-users] virtual sites set up for topology file

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri May 6 14:22:07 CEST 2011

On 6/05/2011 10:17 PM, Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Yeah I see your point about the types. With regard to the initial
> configuration state I would have assumed that gromacs knew the initial
> position of the virtual site  when I stated that it was to be at the
> COG  of the  3 atoms in  the [virtual_sitesn] directive.

Yes it does, but (IIRC) the implementation requires that each of the
constructing atoms and the virtual atom(s) are distinct atoms. mdrun
does the book-keeping to know which atoms are sensible at different
stages of the integration. So the input coordinate file needs to have
such atoms there, but I rather suspect their coordinates will get
ignored - that's easily tested, of course.

Mark