[gmx-users] frozen CNT with carbonyls

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon May 9 15:00:47 CEST 2011

On 9/05/2011 10:43 PM, toby10222224 wrote:

Please use a useful subject line when replying to a digest.

> I mean all the positions of the carbon atoms are invariant during
> mdrun. In the .gro file, carbonyl carbon and oxygen atoms are defined
> as group 'Carbonyl' and the rest every single carbon atom is defined
> as 'CNT'.

A .gro file doesn't have groups.

> For the use of 'freeze groups', the group 'CNT' should be freezed. But
> for group 'Carbonyl', as oxygen atom is allowed to move, it is not
> appropriate to freeze group 'Carbonyl'.

Sure, I think you want a freeze group of all the nanotube carbons, and
all the carbonyl oxygens. make_ndx will allow you make such a union.

> I wonder whether the same atom can be included in two or more groups.
> If it can be, I can ignore the group name defined in the .gro file and
> redefine groups by using command 'make_ndx'. Then I am able to make
> use of index

Groups aren't defined in the coordinate file. If you use a GROMACS
utility that can accept an index file as input, and do not provide one,
then GROMACS generates some standard ones from the coordinate file. In
the case of make_ndx, these are then written out when you quit.

> groups to define an appropriate freezegrp in the .mdp file. All the
> carbon atoms of the CNT (inclduing carbonyl carbon atoms) are supposed
> to be defined as 'CNT', and carbonyl carbon atoms and oxygen oxygens
> are 'Carbonyl'. Group 'CNT' is the freeze group. Is it feasible for
> this idea?

You're in charge... I don't know what external entity is dictating what
you are "supposed" to do :-)

Mark