[gmx-users] ambar to opls force field

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 9 17:12:55 CEST 2011

Nilesh Dhumal wrote:
> I used g_dipoles to calculate dielectric constant.
>

> g_dipoles -f water.trr -s water.tpr -eps
>
> Group     0 (      System) has   768 elements
> Group     1 (     Protein) has   768 elements
> Group     2 (   Protein-H) has   256 elements
> Group     3 (     C-alpha) has     0 elements
> Group     4 (    Backbone) has     0 elements
> Group     5 (   MainChain) has     0 elements
> Group     6 (MainChain+Cb) has     0 elements
> Group     7 ( MainChain+H) has     0 elements
> Group     8 (   SideChain) has   768 elements
> Group     9 ( SideChain-H) has   256 elements
> Select a group: 0
>
> I selected 0.

The manual and the archive are not clear on the proper way to calculate a
dielectric constant, but it seems your use of g_dipoles neglects several terms
that may affect your outcome.  I would suggest backing up and applying your
methodology to a well-defined system like rigid SPC to see if you can recover
the proper dielectric constant for that system (65, I believe).  That will tell
you if your method for calculating the dielectric is correct.  If it is, and you
still can't reproduce the results for the flexible model, my advice is still to
contact the authors of the cited paper for advice.

-Justin