[gmx-users] REMD multi core for each replica

SebastianWaltz sebastian.waltz at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue May 10 11:53:09 CEST 2011

Hi Mark,

On 05/10/2011 11:34 AM, Mark Abraham wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 5:36 PM, SebastianWaltz wrote:
>> Dear GROMACS users,
>>
>> I wonder if it is not possible to use more than 1 core (according to the
>> manual) for each replica using GROMACS 4.0.x?
>
> You can use more than one core per replica  from 4.0 onwards.
>
>> In the manual is written that the number of cores defined by the -np
>> option of mpirun has to be the same as the number of replicas.
>
> What text makes you think this? I can't see any, but if there is, it
> should be fixed.
>
> Mark
it is this sentence:

The number of cores (and the |-np| flag for mdrun
<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Gromacs_Utilities/mdrun> for
GROMACS prior to version 4.0) must agree with the number of .tpr
<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/Topology_%28.tpr%29_File>
files (i.e., 10 for the above general example using |prefix_0.tpr|
through |prefix_9.tpr|). Nomenclature for the input files is critical to
getting mdrun
<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Gromacs_Utilities/mdrun> to work.

and the example below on this page

 http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/REMD