[gmx-users] Rigid structure and flexible structure present in sing system

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed May 11 18:44:07 CEST 2011

If I read between the lines correctly, you know how to do this in
gromacs, but you wish that you got a big speedup from freezing most of
the atoms in your system. If that is the case, then I think that
gromacs can not help you in its current form. Therefore, I suggest
that you try the Charmm software. It may be slower overall, but it
gives you the speedup you expect when you freeze 95% of the atoms in
your system so it may be much faster for your usage. Other software
may also do this, but I have no experience with it. If you have
explicit water, this won't be of much use since you're still only
freezing <10% of the atoms in your system.

If you simply want to know how to freeze one structure, then use
freeze groups and energy exclusions without pressure coupling, or use
position restraints and refcoordscaling=com with position restraints,
or create an elastic network of restraints.

Chris.