[gmx-users] R: gmx-users Digest, Vol 85, Issue 101

Anna Marabotti anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it
Fri May 13 15:49:15 CEST 2011

Dear Mark,
thank you also for your suggestion, indeed using the nvt.gro file with the
sequential numbering I was able to distinguish the contributions from both
chains, instead of seeing them superimposed.
Now I have another question. I used pdb2gmx to prepare another file for
simulation (it is the same protein as above, with a mutation). The pdb file
contains two identical chains numbered starting from 21 to 379, marked with
chain ID A and B.
Using the command line:
pdb2gmx -f my_protein.pdb -o my_protein.gro -p my_protein.top
I obtained a .gro file in which the numbering correctly starts from 21 to
379 in both chains, but no chain ID is present. I also tried to use
-chainsep, but nothing changed. So my (last) question is: is there any way
to avoid renumbering the file, but without obtaining a superposition of
residue numbers in both subunits? In other workds: is there a possibility to
leave some form of "chain identifier" in the .gro file? Or the only way to
obtain unambiguous identification of each residue is to renumber the file?
Thank you very much
Anna