[gmx-users] Reference pressure and pressure fluctuations in an NPT simulation

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat May 14 03:38:53 CEST 2011

On 14/05/2011 11:02 AM, Andrew DeYoung wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been running simulations of 254 SPC/E water molecules using the OPLS

Bear in mind that this is a tiny system, and that temperature and
pressure are macroscopic quantities. Reliable measurements of them need
long times and lots of statistics.

> force field.  As Nilesh mentioned earlier today, I am using the NPT
> ensemble.  I am setting the reference pressure at 1 bar, but when I do a
> sequence of minimization, equilibration, and dynamics steps, and then
> finally use g_energy to determine the average pressure, I find an average
> pressure of ~2 bar, rather than 1 bar.
>
> Earlier today, Justin pointed out that this probably means that the system
> has not been equilibrated long enough, so I did another run with longer
> equilibration.  However, I get a similar, puzzling result of ~2 bar.
> Finally, I tried changing the temperature and pressure coupling methods;
> this time, I get a seemingly more reasonable result for average pressure,

I think that is partly fortuitous, and partly the nature of Berendsen
coupling.

> but, as I will describe below and in my PDF file, still somewhat puzzling to
> me (I am new to the field of molecular dynamics).
>
> If you have time, could you please look at my PDF file at
> http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/adeyoung/may13.pdf that summarizes what I
> have tried?  In case it is helpful, also, here is a text description of what
> I have tried:
>
> (i) T coupling = v-rescale; P coupling = parrinello-rahman.  Reference
> pressure = 1 bar.  1 ns equilibration; 2 ns dynamics.  Gromacs tells me that
> the average pressure is ~2.77 bar, but when I use g_energy to extract
> pressure as a function of time to an xvg list and then use software such as
> Mathematica or Matlab to compute the mean of the list, I find that the
> average pressure is ~1.24 bar.

See second para of g_energy -h.

> (ii) Use the same parameters as before, except equilibrate for 5 ns instead
> of 1 ns.  Gromacs says that the average pressure is ~2.82 bar, but when I
> extract the pressure data and compute the mean of the list, I find that the
> average pressure is ~6.81 bar.
>
> (iii) Use the same parameters as in (ii), except use berendsen temperature
> coupling and berendsen pressure coupling.  Gromacs says that the average
> pressure is ~1.00 bar, but when I extract the pressure data and compute the
> mean of the list, I find that the average pressure is ~3.19 bar.
>
> In my PDF file at http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/adeyoung/may13.pdf, I have
> plotted pressure vs time for the dynamics runs of (i), (ii), and (iii), and
> these plots show VERY large magnitude oscillations.

Looks normal. I see that Justin's reply has dealt with the issues below.

Mark