[gmx-users] Re: water dimer is gas phase

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri May 20 17:08:05 CEST 2011

Nilesh Dhumal wrote:
> I run the same mdp files for glucose in vaccum.
>
> I ma geting the proper results, I can visualize the strucutre properly in
> VMD.
>
> If I use same for water why I am not geting proper structure ?

You're comparing dissimilar systems and expecting them to somehow behave the
same way.  I would suspect that your water dimer simply flies apart.  There's
nothing "wrong," per se, with this outcome, but large coordinate values break
the required PDB formatting.  I believe this is what Erik was getting at - you
can process the .pdb file to conform to proper spacing.  Presumably there are
usable frames in your .trr/.xtc file that you can watch to see what's happening
in the simulation, but I suspect that you'll find the water molecules are simply
drifting apart.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar