[gmx-users] NPT for compressing

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun May 22 04:02:27 CEST 2011

Elisabeth wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>     Fatal error:
>>     49 of the 18125 bonded interactions could not be calculated
>>     because some atoms involved moved further apart than the
>>     multi-body cut-off distance (1.25 nm) or the two-body cut-off
>>     distance (1.25 nm), see option -rdd, for pairs and tabulated bonds
>>     also see option -ddcheck
>>     For more information and tips for troubleshooting, please check
>>     the GROMACS
>>     website at http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors
>
>     OK, your system blew up.
>

>>     mdp file:
>>
>>     ;        Bonds
>>     constraints             = none
>>     constraint-algorithm = lincs
>>
>>     ;        Run control
>>     integrator          =  md
>>     dt                  =  0.001
>>     nsteps              =  500000 ;5000
>>     nstcomm             =  100
>>
>>     ;        Output control
>>     nstenergy           =  100                  ; frequency to write
>>     energies to energy file. i.e., energies and other statistical data
>>     are stored every 10 steps
>>     nstxout             =  100;1
>>     nstvout             =  0
>>     nstfout             =  0
>>     nstlog              =  1000                 ; frequency to write
>>     energies to log file
>>     nstxtcout          =  1000
>>
>>     ;        Neighbor searching
>>     nstlist             =  10
>>     ns_type             =  grid
>>
>>     ;        Electrostatics/VdW
>>     coulombtype         =  Shift
>>     vdw-type            =  Shift
>>     rcoulomb-switch     =  0
>>     rvdw-switch         =  0.9 ;0
>>
>>     ;        Cut-offs
>>     rlist               =  1.25
>>     rcoulomb            =  1.0
>>     rvdw                =  1.0
>>
>>     ;        Temperature coupling
>>     Tcoupl              =  v-rescale
>>     tc-grps             =  System
>>     tau_t               =  0.1
>>     ref_t               =  300
>>
>>     ;        Pressure coupling
>>     Pcoupl              =  Parrinello-Rahman
>>     Pcoupltype          =  isotropic
>>     tau_p               =  1
>>     compressibility     =  4.5e-5 4.5e-5
>>     ref_p               =  10
>>
>>     ;        Velocity generation
>>     gen_vel             =  yes
>>     gen_temp            =  300.0
>>     gen_seed            =  173529
>
>     Generating velocities and compressing from an unequilibrated initial
>     conformation in the same run is asking for trouble, and sometimes
>     you're observing it. See
>     http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Steps_to_Perform_a_Simulation.
>     Equilibrate first. Then slowly change the conditions so that you're
>     never all that far from equilibrium, and reach your destination.
>
>     Hello Mark,
>
>     My box of alkane was already equilibrated using a NVT run. I just
>     have to increase the density.
>     After NVT run, do I have to turn off gen_vel             =  yes
>     for NPT run? Is this necessary for all NPT runs?

You don't re-generate velocities between simulation intervals, or else you
destroy any semblance of an equilibrated state you achieved before.  Proper
preservation of the previous ensemble is achieved through grompp -t with a
checkpoint file.

>>     When I use constraints for all-bonds and dt of 0.002 compressing
>>     the box works well and I get density of above 600 SI which is the
>>     actual density of alkane. Can any one help why setting no
>>     constraints and dt=0.001 leads to the error message shown above.
>
>     You probably got lucky the first time and not the second. Or, your
>     atom-atom bond interactions are no good.
>

>>     When no constraints is used PR doesnt work for compressing
>
>     So you want to restrain the positions of heavy atoms, but compress a
>     pure system? This is contradictory. How do you want to decrease the
>     volume if the atoms aren't allowed to move much?
>
>     I meant
>

>     ;        Bonds
>     constraints             = none
>

> not restraining position of atoms.

Constraints and restraints are different.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Constraints_and_Restraints

You said you were using position restraints (presumably that's what "PR" means).
  If this is not the case, please provide an accurate description of what you're
doing.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar