[gmx-users] Error in energy group exclusion

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 24 20:38:58 CEST 2011

bipin singh wrote:
> Thanks for your reply,
> Yes, you are correct, I want calculate the non-bonded interaction
> energies terms for
> Protein-Protein and Protein-Solvent system using rerun of the
> trajectory from a already finished simulation
> (using PME method).Please suggest whether there is any way to get these terms.

You can obtain short-range nonbonded energies between the desired energy groups
using the method you proposed.  grompp is just warning you that you cannot
exclude all terms when using PME; it's a helpful hint in case someone wants to
try to run a simulation that they think has all terms excluded, which is not
reality.  You can override the warning with -maxwarn, or change coulombtype to
cutoff (in which case you'll probably get new warnings about cutoffs not being
accurate, which also isn't relevant because this is a rerun of a presumably
sound trajectory).

It's up to you to decide whether neglecting the long-range term in order to
calculate short-range terms is useful.  The general consensus is that such
energies, in absolute terms, don't mean anything, because you're neglecting an
energy term (the PME mesh) that typically accounts for a (very) large fraction
of the total Coulombic interactions in the simulated system.

-Justin