[gmx-users] Re: Gromacs Installation Error on Powerbook G4 Running OS 10.5.8

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 24 21:08:46 CEST 2011

Matthew Bick wrote:

> On May 23, 2011, at 4:24 PM, gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
> <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org> wrote:
>
>> Re: Gromacs Installation Error on Powerbook G$ Running    OS
>>      10.5.8
>

> Hi Justin.  Thanks for you response.  See my responses below, embedded
> in the original message:
> Matthew Bick wrote:
>

>> Dear Gromacs community.  I am attempting to install the latest version
>> of Gromcs (4.5.4) on my Mac Powerbook G4 (1.67 MHz, OS 10.5.8).  I
>> have successfully installed FFTW following the instructions provided
>> on the Gromacs installation page.
>>
>> "./configure --with-fft=fftw3" appears to work properly, but when I
>> perform  "Make" I get the following errors:
>>
>> ld: symbol(s) not found
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[4]: *** [libgmx.la] Error 1
>> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>

> |The information about the actual missing symbols should be just above this
> |output, so that would be useful information.  Also pertinent would be the
> |compiler versions you're using.  From what you've posted below it looks
> like
> |GCC, but which version?
>
> I am using the latest Developer's tools for Leopard 10.5.8.  So that
> comes with gcc 4.0 and 4.2.  I
>         can't say for certain which version was used during
> configuration.  I do know that when 'configuration'
>         looks for gcc it finds it.

If you're not specifying a custom PATH, then your default gcc is being detected.
  gcc -v will tell you which is being used.

>     Here are the missing symbols, plus the error codes once again:
>
> Undefined symbols:
>  "___sync_lock_test_and_set", referenced from:
>  _tMPI_Lock_trylock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Lock_lock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Lock_lock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Lock_lock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Lock_lock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Lock_lock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Lock_lock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Lock_lock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Lock_lock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Type_commit in type.o
>  _tMPI_Type_contiguous in type.o
>  "___sync_bool_compare_and_swap", referenced from:
>  _tMPI_Stack_detach in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_detach in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_detach in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_detach in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_detach in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_detach in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_detach in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_detach in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_push in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_push in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_push in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_push in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_push in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_push in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_push in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_push in list.o
>  _tMPI_Stack_pop in list.o
>  _tMPI_Once_wait in once.o
>  _tMPI_Once in once.o
>  _tMPI_Prep_send_envelope in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Prep_send_envelope in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Prep_send_envelope in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Prep_send_envelope in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Prep_send_envelope in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Prep_send_envelope in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Prep_send_envelope in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Prep_send_envelope in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Wait_process_incoming in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Wait_process_incoming in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Wait_process_incoming in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Wait_process_incoming in p2p_protocol.o
>  "___sync_fetch_and_add", referenced from:
>  _tMPI_Once_wait in once.o
>  "___sync_lock_release", referenced from:
>  _tMPI_Lock_unlock in lock.o
>  _tMPI_Type_commit in type.o
>  _tMPI_Type_contiguous in type.o
>  "___sync_add_and_fetch", referenced from:
>  _tMPI_Alltoallv in alltoall.o
>  _tMPI_Alltoall in alltoall.o
>  _tMPI_Barrier_wait in barrier.o
>  _tMPI_Mult_recv in collective.o
>  _tMPI_Mult_recv in collective.o
>  _tMPI_Post_multi in collective.o
>  _tMPI_Post_multi in collective.o
>  _tMPI_Post_send in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Xfer in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Xfer in p2p_protocol.o
>  _tMPI_Wait_process_incoming in p2p_protocol.o
> [...]

Threading is breaking down.  I believe the ability to build Gromacs with
threading support is compiler dependent, and you may need a newer gcc, although
I could be wrong.  I seem to recall having to upgrade to gcc 4.4.4 before the
newer features would work.

To test, configure with --disable-threads.  In this case, you'd have to
--enable-mpi for mdrun if you have multiple cores, and therefore invoke
mdrun_mpi via mpirun rather than through the internal threading library.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar