[gmx-users] oplsaa vs. charmm

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri May 27 17:54:18 CEST 2011

simon sham wrote:
> Hi,
> I have recently done two simulations on a protein at high temperature
> near its melting temperature. At the beginning I used CHARMM forcefield,
> and then OPLSAA to double check the results. There are some differences
> in the structures between the forcefield used.  I know different
> forcefields can give different results. All parameters in the
> simulations were the same except the forcefield. Is there anyway I can
> tell which forcefield gives more reliable results?

Compare with experimental results.  Without something to compare to, each is
just a prediction of some unknown phenomenon.  Keep in mind that a single
trajectory for either is not necessarily conclusive of anything.  Replicates and
good sampling will be more informative.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar