[gmx-users] Plan for energy minimization, NPT equilibration, and NPT dynamics

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Sun May 29 12:42:26 CEST 2011

Hi Andrew,

looking at your protocol, perhaps I can help thermo- and barostating.
This are very important issues as they decide if your final trajectory
samples a canonical phase space that should correspond to the desired
ensemble( Tuckerman and Martyna, J. Phys. Chem. B 2000, 104, 159-178,
DOI:10.1021/jp992433y is a very good review for this topic ).

You are using Nose-Hoover(NH) for both, equilibration and production.
However to drive a system into equilibrium you should perhaps switch to
the v-rescale thermostat. It is more stable and samples the phase
canonically as well as NH. The shorter you make the coupling time, the
faster you reach equilibrium, but the stronger you disturb the
correlations in the system. For the production run the NC scheme allows
to control the time scales were correlations are affected with the
coupling parameter tau_t, while for v-rescale tau_t is just a measure
how strong the thermostat is coupled to the system.

As you want to simulate a canoncial NPT ensemble, the only possibility
for pressure coupling is parrinello-rahman or mttk, while the latter one
is just an extension of the first one. However to equilibrate the system
berendsen should be the method of choice, though it does not sample
canonically. The rules for the coupling parameter are similar as in the
case of temperature coupling. For mttk and pr, tau_p is a measure for
the time scale where correlations are conserved, while for berendsen
tau_p measures the strength of the coupling. For the pressure coupling,
short coupling times introduce very large fluctuations of the box size,
so that it can take also a very long time to reach equilibrium.

Hope this helps a little bit.

/Flo

--
Florian Dommert