[gmx-users] Fwd: Simulation of protein with phosphate ion...

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 31 01:19:35 CEST 2011

bharat gupta wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to dock a barrel protein with phosphate ion , to look for the
> sites where Phosphate ion binds... I searched the gmx list but I didn't
> find much related threads..

You usually won't find instructions specifically tailored for your specialty
application.  This list is for general Gromacs usage.  Occasionally you'll find
a how-to for something, but that's a rare find.

> I want to do the following things...
> 1) Simulate the binding of phosphate ion with a barrel protein. Here I
> do not know where does the ions binds and thats what I want to find
> through simulation..
> 2) After getting the site , I want to look for the binding affinities
> between the predicted sites..
>
> I want to know how shall I approach this.. since I don't know how many
> ions I have to simulate with the protein..Can anybody help or refer to
> some paper??

It sounds like you need to be looking at docking and/or binding site prediction
algorithms, neither of which can be done with Gromacs.  Running MD and hoping
your PO4 stick somewhere is a great way to waste time and probably not learn
anything :)  There are several ways to calculate binding free energies after
you've determined plausible binding sites.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee