[gmx-users] Re: how to calculate the force between two groups (Mark Abraham)

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 1 01:48:33 CET 2011

On 1/11/2011 5:40 AM, Tom wrote:
> Thanks Mark!
>
> It was actually what I did.
> mdrun -rerun  with well-chosen energy group exclusions only gives the
> energy
> between certain pairs of group, not the forces.

Did you use nstfout to actually write the forces?

> g_traj gives the overall forces not the force between certain pair.

mdrun computes interactions as a loop over energy groups and writes only
a single number for each component of the force on each atom in each
time step. You can't decompose anything after the fact.

> Thanks a lot for any further idea to obtain the force for certain pair
> of groups!

One can use tpbconv and trjconv to create a matching pair of subset .tpr
and trajectory files for mdrun -rerun, but I do not think this is necessary.

Mark