[gmx-users] Ligand topology in topol.top

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 1 18:44:13 CET 2011

Steven Neumann wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Steven Neumann wrote:
>
>         Hi Guys,
>          I am using Charmm27 ff for my protein and ligand system. I used
>         SwissParam to generate the topology for my ligand. I included
>         the obtained topology of my ligand as in Justin tutorial:
>
>         ; Include Position restraint file
>
>         #ifdef POSRES
>
>         #include "posre.itp"
>
>         #endif
>
>         ; Include ligand topology
>
>         #include "ligand.itp"
>
>         ; Ligand position restraints
>
>         #ifdef POSRES
>
>         #include "posre_ligand.itp"
>
>         #endif
>
>         ; Include water topology
>
>         #include "charmm27.ff/tip3p.itp"
>
>          When I wanted to run NVT I obtained:
>          Fatal error:
>         Syntax error - File egcg.itp, line 7
>         Last line read:
>         '[ atomtypes ] '
>         Invalid order for directive atomtypes
>          However when I included my topology as:
>
>         ; Include forcefield parameters
>
>         #include "charmm27.ff/forcefield.itp"
>
>         #include "ligand.itp"
>
>         [ moleculetype ]
>
>         ; Name nrexc

>         ; Include Position restraint file
>
>         #ifdef POSRES
>
>         #include "posre.itp"
>
>         #endif
>
>         ; Ligand position restraints
>
>         #ifdef POSRES
>
>         #include "posre_egcg.itp"
>
>         #endif
>
>         ; Include water topology
>
>         #include "charmm27.ff/tip3p.itp"
>
>         ,,,,
>          Everything seems to be ok!
>         Any clue why is that?
>

>     The topology must follow a defined order.  Please consult Chapter 5
>     of the manual for the required hierarchy.  Of course, the latter
>     case will also not work, because you've introduced ligand position
>     restraints after the protein [moleculetype], so if invoked, they
>     will cause a different fatal error.
>
>     The Gromacs site also has more on these types of errors, as well as
>     the list archive, where this error has been posted and solved
>     hundreds of times.
>
>     -Justin
>
>     Thank you Justin! But actually the last case I provided actually
>     works...

Then the position restraints are not being applied to the ligand.  They can't
be.  Once the protein [moleculetype] is introduced, all [position_restraints]
directives immediately after are applied to it.  Try invoking the restraints
separately, i.e. with "define = -DPOSRES -DPOSRES_LIGAND" and you will get a
fatal error.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar