[gmx-users] Steered MD in reverse direction?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 4 02:27:17 CET 2011

Sanku M wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am performing steered Molecular dynamics simulation to pull a
> molecule out of a complex. I am using gromacs 4.5.4 to perform the
> constant rate pulling..I have done the steered MD simulation in a
> particular direction i.e hav pulled the molecule out of complex.
> But, to check the convergence/hysterisis of the pulled path way, I would
> like to perform the same steered MD in reverse direction i.e push the
> molecule back into the complex. But, I was wondering, to perform the
> backward steered MD, how should I modify the .mdp parameters?  Should I
> make the pull_rate1 negative or switch the pull_group0 and pull_group1 ?
>  Any help will be appreciated.

Use a negative pull rate.  But simple pulling like this can be difficult; you're
now trying to hit a moving target.  A slight rotation of the protein can render
the whole simulation junk - your pulled molecule may smack into some undesired
location.

-Justin

> The following is the part of the pull-code parameter I am using:
> ; Pull code
> pull            = umbrella
> pull_geometry   = distance  ; simple distance increase
> pull_dim        = N N Y
> pull_start      = yes       ; define initial COM distance > 0
> pull_ngroups    = 1
> pull_group0     = Mol_A
> pull_group1     = Mol_B
> pull_rate1      = 0.0025      ; 0.01 nm per ps = 10 nm per ns
> pull_k1         = 1000      ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>

> Sanku

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar