[gmx-users] Thioester bond problem

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 4 19:34:53 CET 2011

alberto arrigoni wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
> I'm attempting to simulate a system composed of two proteins containing
> a thioester bond between the C-terminus of chain A and a cysteine
> residue from chain B.
> I wonder if the parameters for this bond to be included in the .top
> file exist. Also, I am having troubles figuring out how to include them,
> since the thioester generates a branch between the two chains.
> A possible strategy I have come up with is to use specbond.dat in order
> to create a bond, and then try to add by hand the parameters in the .top
> file. The problem with this would be to erase an hydroxyl group from the
> C terminus and a hydrogen atom from the sulfidrilic group. Also, with
> "specbond.dat" (even changing cutoffs) the target bond is not the only
> one that is created by pdb2gmx, since unfortunately another cisteine is
> closely located to a glicine residue (the same residue I have in
> C-terminus).
> I am very grateful for any assistence you could provide.

There are several things I can think of to try.  First, have you used the
"-chainsep ter" option in pdb2gmx?  It shouldn't create termini based on chain
identifiers, but rather on TER entries, which, if removed, don't create
problems.  You can also use the -ter option to interactively select termini
states, thus adding no terminal acid group atoms to the actual C-terminus of the
first chain.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar