[gmx-users] PMF when pulling in -Z direction

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 4 20:01:20 CET 2011

nahren manuel wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> If you observe my pulling simulation, you will see that the distances
> are (increasing) in the negative.

Exactly as you expect.  You're pulling along the -Z dimension, as you said
before.  So the ligand is pulled from the protein to an increasingly negative
position.

> Here is the PMF (image):
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/nahrenmascarenhas/6312990056/
> this is not one expects in ligand unbinding. (of course these are from
> my initial simulations, approx. 1 ns runs in 5 windows)

Don't base any conclusions on what you see.  The simulation time and number of
windows are both woefully insufficient to make any reliable observations.  Only
once you have done a proper set of umbrella sampling windows will you be able to
tell what's going on.  You should also be doing error estimates when computing
the PMF; I suspect the error bars will be as wild as the values in the PMF plot.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar