[gmx-users] Re:umbrella sampling with "pull=constraint"

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Mon Nov 7 15:07:11 CET 2011

If you use constraints it would not be umbrella sampling, where you need
to sample around a restraint structure to get the histograms for WHAM or
another analysis-technic.
So if you want to do umbrella sampling either make to box bigger and/or
make the restraints harder.

But you can also use constraints instead of restraints. But it would
require another analysis-technic. Think it's called thermodynamic
integration. In the end you also sample many different windows with
varying distances, but instead of using WHAM you integrate the
constraint force to obtain the PMF.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/000926149190259C

One important thing to note is, that you will need more windows compared
to umbrella-sampling, since in each window you sample only on distance
and not around one distance (restrains allow for a change of the distance).

Another thing to note is the pull_dim. For determining the PMF of an
end-toend distance of similar i would turn all three dimensions to 'yes'.
Imagine to parallel sheets of paper, with z perpendicular to the papers.
With your setup you would only fix the z-distance between both sheets,
but they can move freely in the xy-plane.

Hope that helps.
greetings
thomas