[gmx-users] lipid bilayer and umbrella sampling

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Nov 7 20:27:22 CET 2011

If you add position restraints to your DPPC molecules, then you are
changing your effective order parameter. The PMF for the solute along
the normal to a restrained bilayer will have a different shape than a
PMF for the solute along the normal to an urestrained bilayer. Whether
or not this is a problem will depend on the question that you are trying
to answer.

If the bilayer is falling apart, then you certainly need to do
something. But if it is just locally ordering/disordering, then I don't
see the big problem, besides the effect that this has on convergence
(DOI: 10.1021/ct200316w).

Chris.