[gmx-users] CygWin and Gromacs 4.5.5

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 8 23:59:24 CET 2011

On 8/11/2011 11:35 PM, Szilárd Páll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There have been quite some discussion on the topic of GROMACS on
> Cygwin so please search the mailing list for information.

Actually I don't think this issue has been addressed. Some NUMA-aware
thread_mpi stuff does not work under Cygwin, and code added since 4.5.4
assumes that it does. I can find no reason to support that assumption.

To work around, use configure --disable-threads.

> Some of that information might have not gone into the wiki
> (http://goo.gl/ALQuC) - especially that the page appears to be intact
> for the last 7 months. [Which is a pity and it would be really much
> appreciated if people in the future contribute back!!!]
>
> Additionally, AFAIK you will get better performance if you compile
> with MSVC which should be fairly easy if you use CMake - I'm not
> entirely sure about this

I'd be surprised. Why should MSVC outperform gcc?

Mark