[gmx-users] GMX to remove clashes?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Nov 14 22:49:22 CET 2011

Liu, Liang wrote:
> Hi, all,
> I am wondering if Gromacs can do the following work?
>
> Assuming I have a pdb file of an RNA molecule. Some atoms may be too
> close or even overlap, I am wondering if Gromacs can move the atoms to
> reasonable positions and remove the bad contacts? The final structure is
> supposed to be the "most" stable structure with minimal energy. I know
> AMBER minimization can do this work, and I am wondering if Gromacs can
> do the same?

Gromacs is perfectly capable of energy minimization.  Whether or not
minimization succeeds and gives a reasonable output is mostly dependent upon the
feasibility of the starting structure.  If the minimization crashes, it's not
Gromacs' fault ;)

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar