[gmx-users] Pressure change after NPT equilibriation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 16 15:24:47 CET 2011

shilpa yadahalli wrote:
> Dear Justin,
> sorry to trouble you again. I want to ask one more thing.
> I saw some of the documentation regarding, and i found that (on d page u
> mentioned frm gromacs), for a box of 216 waters, fluctuations of 500-600
> bar are standard. And for a system of 21600 water molecules ~
> fluctuations of 50-60 bar.
> My system has ~ 5000 to 6000 water molecules. So i should expect
> pressure fluctuations less than 500-600 bar (?).
> If i go acc. to above calculations then i should expect, 600 bar /
> (28)^1/2 = ~ 113.38 bar.  [6000/216 water molecules  ~ 27.78 ].
> (my run time for npt equlibriation is 600 ps.)

Per the page quoted before, pressure decreases as the root of the number of
particles, not the square of the number of the ratio of molecules :)

You should note that, if I recall, the quoted statistics are for the Berendsen
barostat (a weak coupling algorithm with exponential decay) for a box of pure
water.  The Parrinello-Rahman barostat will have larger fluctuations.

-Justin

> Can you pls explain me regarding.
> Thanks alot,
> Shilpa