[gmx-users] Reproducable MD runs on two PCs

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Nov 20 11:21:32 CET 2011

On 20/11/2011 9:11 PM, Igor Druz wrote:
> If the -reprod option works fine and we can get complete
> reproducability on one machine, then I would think there must be a
> way of at least minimizing differences on two machines.

Sure. Make as many things as similar as you can. Just don't bother
trying too hard. The first tiny difference sees the simulations diverge,
and you likely cannot prevent such a difference occurring, even if the
difference is just a different OS on identical hardware. Chaos is
inescapable here.

> I was hoping to pick on the experience with precision, whether it is
> worth having a go with a double precision compilation?

That will reduce the effect of differences that affect numerical
accuracy but make things more than twice as slow.

Mark